Book making workshop

On Wednesday 21st October we had a workshop on book making with Sarah Edmonds.
We started off the day with Sarah firstly showing us her collection of various books in order to give us some inspiration. Then Sarah demonstrated to us how to make 2 different styles of booklets.

2015-11-08 18.22.59

2015-11-08 18.22.24The first book we made involved us folding an A3 piece of paper into 8 sections then cutting down a line between the middle two sections. The result of this method is an A6 book, that folds out like a normal book.

2015-11-08 18.24.14

The 2015-11-08 18.23.40second book we made was more of a zigzag book. We had to fold the A3 paper into 16 sections and then cut into it, as shown in the picture. This results again into an A6 a book which opens in a concertina style.

We then started to 2015-10-21 12.41.35create our own book ideas, Sarah showed us a few more techniques such as how to create
pockets into the books. For my book I chose to start making a book for children that could be used as a tool to help them learn how to
spell.
Each page had a word category on it such as animals or food, and two pockets.2015-10-21 12.41.31In each pocket was cut out letters which the child could arrange to form a word. I drew the picture of each word on the front of the pocket. I was quite happy with the base idea of this book, 2015-10-21 12.12.42however if I was to do it again I feel as if each category should have more than two words to spell, and there should be more than 4 categories in a book.

 

2015-10-21 14.52.28

In the afternoon, Sarah firstly taught us how to bind a book. I started this by nesting a few sheets of paper together. We then cut into the sheets of paper to make different shapes in order to make the paper look more exciting and interesting. After this, we made 3 wholes along the fold line of the stack of paper, then we took a piece of string that was 3 2015-10-21 14.52.11times the length of the book and proceeded to start binding the pieces of paper together. We had to go through the center hole, up to the top hole, down to the bottom hole, and then finish by going back through the center hole and tying the piece of string together.
Finally, Sarah taught us how to make a cover to our books. This involved cutting out two pieces of foam board out that was approximately 1 inch bigger than the actual pieces of paper. We then had to cover the foam board in fabric and stick the front and last page of the book onto the foam board.

2015-10-21 15.22.202015-10-21 15.23.58
2015-10-21 15.45.20


 


 

Image project

For the image project I was given the word ‘lost’ to concentrate my theme on.
For begin this project I started off by thinking of what lost means. I came up with the idea of being physically lost for example in a location, or being emotionally lost in the sense that you are sure what to do or where to go next with something. For this project I decided to center in around both of these two main themes.

I firstly went out into the local area to take photos of varying different sign posts, one problem I occurred here was that because all road directions etc have an English translation as well as a welsh translation, a lot of the sign posts where very big and quite unattractive. However I managed to find a few that I liked.
I then took these photos onto Photoshop and edited them all onto an individual sign post, so the overall effect was a sign post with lost of different directions on it. I feel like this signifies the not knowing of what direction to go in next. I then put the signpost into illustrator to create the border around the edge, this was to create a crisp line.
Finally I created the background, this was made up of another piece of imagery from the signposts of a tree/foliage environment. I feel like this represented the theme well because forests and areas of dense woodland are particularly easy to get lost in. I chose quite a muted colour scheme because I felt as if the topic I was aiming for isn’t a particularly positive topic and there for muted colours could represent this feeling of being down about being lost.

Final piece

Letterpress workshop

2015-10-13 14.34.28

This week I had the chance to take part in a letterpress workshop with Kim.

The workshop started with Kim demonstrating how to use the letterpress room and where to find each different letter and font style and size, then how to set up a galley, and finally onto the process of actually printing the text.

We then had the opportunity to try it out for ourselves. The first obstacle we faced was actually trying to decide on what to write, in the end I went for my name and the course title, we then proceeded to choosing our text size and style, I decided to go for 2 different sizes of text for each line. We positioned each individual letter onto a composition stick, and then transferred the text to a larger galley. We then used furniture to keep the text positioned in place so it wouldn’t move when we got round to actually printing.

When printing the text, I realised that the pressure of the press was wrong, so my prints came out slightly faded on the bottom line of text. Kim then taught us how to adjust the pressure of the press and we played around with different pressures until we got a crisp print.

2015-10-13 14.35.232015-10-13 14.36.052015-10-13 14.34.02

After printing with ink, i went on to have a go at embossing the paper rather than printing on it with ink. The process of this is similar to printing with ink except you instead have a printing plate with no ink on it and you also have to dampen the paper before hand. This step isn’t a necessity however dampening the paper breaks up the fibers in the paper so it creates a crisper emboss.
2015-10-13 14.34.54