Significance of information – Visual Storytelling

Today we began a new half day project with David before we were given the brief for our 3 week field project. Our task for the half day project was I was put into a group with Amber and Abbie and we were given an article entitled; “Richest 62 people as wealthy as half of the world’s population, says Oxfam”. Our task was to create a visual story based on the data and facts that we read in this article.

Visual storytelling is what it means to convert information with equal parts, clarity and creativity, speaking with remarkable aesthetic, eloquence about the things that matter in the world today.

To begin we picked out some of the significant points that we found in this article, we quite quickly found a quote which gave us the inspiration for our final idea.

“We cannot afford to carry on giving the richest an ever bigger slice of the cake”

We picked out some of the main statistics that we found in the article and decided to focus our piece of work on them, we did this because we believed that this 4 statistics representing the overall theme of our article the best. These statistics were;

  • In 2010, the richest 388 people owned the same wealth as the poorest 50%
  • In 2014, the richest 80 people owned the same wealth as the poorest 50%
  • In 2015, the richest 62 people owned the same wealth as the poorest 50%
  • 1% of people own more wealth than the other 99% combined

Our initial ideas were that we wanted to create some sort of 3D representation of these facts, however because we only had 2 hours to complete this project we naturally had to reign our ideas into something more manageable within the time constraint. Based on our inspiration we got from the quote, we decided to focus on the idea using cakes as a visual representation, more specifically we reigned in on the idea of using a patisserie counter as a way to represent these facts.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I believe that as a group we all worked well together, we have worked together as a 3 before so I was confident before the project started that it would be a success. We divided up the tasks evenly and managed to complete our design to a degree that we were happy with within the time constraints. I believe that we all felt that if we had more time on this project we would’ve loved to be more adventurous, and create a larger, more structural piece that was more realistic, or even create a stop motion with it. Possibly even using real cakes! However given the 2 hours we had, we were very happy with our final outcome.

16251429_10209580888416903_741474116_o16325447_1210087555725659_459888506_o

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s